Saturday, April 02, 2005

Standing on Drew's soap box, or something like that.

Sometimes when I'm feeling inadequate, I start berating myself for all the mistakes I've made, the people I've disappointed. I remember a particular occasion being part of a group, that I had no idea what I was getting into when I joined. A bunch of highly motivated moms, who were absolutely amazing with their vision and drive to educate their children. I was more laid back, let's learn by reading, and experience. It wasn't a good fit for me to be part of their enrichment group. I tried, but the things that were important to them, just didn't seem to matter as much to me. I had dropped the ball at one point because I had a personal crisis. The leader called me, and said that while she had never experienced that type of loss, she just couldn't believe that I had not followed through on my responsibilities. She said she saw that I had many giftings, trying to soften the blow of her words. Then she proceeded to tell me that she could "mentor" me to be more like her. I hung up the phone, bawling, feeling like the hugest loser, and the pain of rejection. My family wrapped their arms around me, loved me, and reminded me that my adequacy comes from God and not from myself. They have so many times been Jesus to me, loving me despite me. I have countless times disappointed and been ashamed of my actions. I am remorseful, but I also need to realize that I am not my sin.

I am not my sin.

You are not your sin.



Somebody should make a t-shirt that says that. Wait....Drew already did. Thanks for the reminder.


*addendum*

yeah, maybe it was a misguided thing to do, but I really think this woman was well meaning. I truly learned through the experience that one can't be measured by another's ruler. I guess I just want to be clear that while it was hurtful at the time, I don't harbor any bitterness, cause' you know what? She is not her....yeah, you guessed it.

1 comment:

sic said...

I know a lot of people who need to hear that message, and most of them are me.

sarcastrix