Monday, April 04, 2005

Friends with Buster Keaton

Friday night we almost decided not to go, I mean we hadn't gotten tickets, didn't know if Isaiah would be co-operative with his six year old energy, Johanna and Niah were off to enjoy the goodness of an evening with Sufjan Stevens. We decided to go to the 9pm showing of Buster Keaton's "The Navigator". I really didn't know what to expect: a silent film with a live band playing music scored for the movie? Hmmm..

We sat down with a small crowd of people, our friends were there as well, Pam knitting prior to the lights going down, others eating popcorn, and sourpatch kids. The band was in front of the big screen, tuning, chatting. They were an eclectic mix of folk, older, young, some very retro-looking, some button down types. A member gave a brief introduction to the film, the lights dimmed, and we were off.

I was immediately captivated...the music was incredible. They described it as "World Fusion"... I had expected just instrumentals so I was surprised at the numinous vocals that were floating through the air. The music blended well with the film playing before me. Comedic elements, serious, romantic, intense. It was sheer brilliance. I had never seen a Keaton film, and now I'm hooked! If you ever get a chance to see Blue Dahlia you must! I was verra impressed....the idea was unusual, and it worked. Even Isaiah loved it.
Apparently Sufjan was amazing as well. Johanna cried -wants to propose marriage to the man, and Niah wants to write a song about him. Music...delves deep into this family's wealth of emotion. Excuse me whist I go move some dishes around to the sound of Over the Rhine's, Drunkard's Prayer.

2 comments:

my alter ego said...

dangit- color me jealous. always wanted to see a silent flick done up like that.

oh- and thanks for the props on the previous post.

yeah...i kick ass, don't i?


missin ya'z.

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog Tomi. Love the pic of Isaiah....I've got ya bookmarked now. Can I hire you to write my blog?

Troy