Friday, January 28, 2005

One Thing Leads To Another

So I watched "Extreme Makeover," for the first time ever last night. I was amazed by cosmetic dentistry. A guy with terribly crooked teeth, was outfitted with porcelain veneers. The change in his smile was amazing! I had never heard of porcelain veneers, so I decided to research it a bit today on the World Wide Web. While the material I read was indeed interesting, the link on this dentistry page to information on "bad breath" couldn't be passed by. I learned a great deal.
*Some of this might be disturbing to you that are faint of stomach.*
I learned that it is difficult to determine whether or not one has halitosis simply by doing the breathe into the cupped hand trick. There are ways to accurately smell your own breath, however you have to take a slightly indirect route.
Try this technique. Lick your wrist, wait about five seconds while the saliva dries somewhat, and then smell it. What do you think? That's the way you smell. Or more precisely, that's the way the end of your tongue smells. How was it? Did you pass this first check?
Now do this experiment, it will check the odor associated with the back of your tongue. Take a spoon , turn it upside down, and use it to scrape the very back portion of your tongue. (Don't be alarmed if you have an active gag reflex.) Take a look at the material that has been scraped off, usually a thick, whitish material. Now take a whiff of it. Not so bad? Pretty nasty? This smell as opposed to the sample from the end of your tongue, is probably how your breath smells to others.
Who among you is brave enough to try this at home? And if I hear of any of you getting unsuspecting friends and relatives to sniff your spoon.....why, I don't know what I'll do. Probably laugh. Really hard.

1 comment:

my alter ego said...

personally, i think the smell of halitosis is incredibly erotic! why, when this elderly gentleman walked into the restaurant tonight and opened his mouth to exhale, some flowers nearby died just a little. when he sat at his table, people around him asked if a cat crawled into our a.c. unit and died a month or so ago. nothing sexier than an old man with ass mouth. tasty!!