Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hind's Feet

Impromptu meetings with long distance friends are lovely. Last evening we got to visit with Kat and Drew...they make my heart happy.

This morning, beauty mingled with sadness. I was waiting in the car for Joe, at a work site, when up over the mounds of new construction dirt, a deer leaped. I was awed by its grace on the uneven ground, and watched it run for places unknown. As I sat there thankful for the unexpected treat, I saw movement in my peripheral vision. Another deer appeared on the same mound of dirt, and as it crested the hill, I saw that it had an injured front leg. It would take a few steps, pause, pant, and then continue it's journey. There was still beauty in the struggle, but a sense of desolation as well.

So in this melancholy state, I begin my day.

No comments: