Saturday, August 13, 2005

Tomorrow

Each night I lie on a mattress on the floor in my brother's room, listening to him breathe. Sleep has been elusive, I am afraid that I will not awaken if he needs my help, or begins to wander. Worse yet, I am afraid he will slip even farther from us as he sleeps.

This week has been a week of many firsts. I just finished changing my brother's insulin pump tubing, which I think requires much more experience than I have. What if I did something wrong, or screwed up his dosage? This experience came on the heels of an aggressive outburst. He doesn't know who I am so he is fearful and violent. Moments before we had been talking about the days he would go frogging in the backyard of our childhood home, chasing lightening bugs, and gutting trout. Twenty minutes later he is apologizing and crying saying he loves me.

Tomorrow his wife will be home. I will see a smile split his face, and the light of recognition torch his eyes. Tomrorrow night he will sleep beside her in their marriage bed of thirty years.

Monday he will be admitted to a longterm care facility.

I want to think about tomorrow instead.

No comments: