I was driving Joe to work this morning at 6:00; we passed by a dental office and could see a guy all cranked back in "the chair", bib in place, waiting. It was a split second glimpse, yet it registered as quite odd. Who would want to be at the dentist at that hour of the day? Obviously someone who is concerned about good dental hygiene.
I am feeling rather contemplative at the moment. I visited with friends while Joe was at a job interview (which went rather well!) and was catching up after a six week lapse. They were telling me about a man that had passed away unexpectedly at the workplace.
Jack was 57. A single man, never married, or involved with anyone as far as anybody knew. He had worked at the same place of employment for 21 years, lived alone in his own little apartment, and was an eccentric of sorts. He had a passion for Amtrak I'm told, and took rail holidays often. Jack liked to sing, but apparently while his zeal wasn't lacking his talent was. Nevertheless, one year for Christmas he gave his co-workers a disc full of Jack's favorite hits. Songs like, "Cold Hearted Snake," "Let it Be," and "Lady in Red". He also wrote and published a book about his Amtrak adventures entitled, "The Crazy Passenger Train". These are the few things I know about Jack.
What impresses me is that this man, did something. Maybe he wasn't the best singer, but he still made a recording, cause' he wanted to. He wanted to write a book about his passion, and he did it. Maybe nobody will ever read it, but it's still there.
There are so many things that I'd like to "do", I dream wistfully, but don't do. The only thing that is limiting me, is uh yeah, me.
I wanna be like Jack. It's true.

1 comment:
I want to be like Jack too. Really great post. It is making me think.
Post a Comment