Nineteen years ago today, I watched my swollen feet hit the black asphalt of the quarter mile track that was across the street from our Jacksonville, FL home. Heat rose in waves, as my flip flops kept rhythm with the thoughts in my head, "Gonna have a baby, gonna have a baby...". I would stop occasionally and lean into Joe as a contraction swept through my body. I had been experiencing such contractions for two days, and this day in my frustration I would stop, and heft my considerable girth into the air to land with little grace in the same spot I had just vacated. What I hoped to accomplish with these small flights was to jar the child who seemed so determined to never leave my womb. It was already twenty-four days past my due date of June 26th, I was exhausted and wanted to meet this little person I had been housing free of charge for the last 10 months.
After the horrors of laboring in a military hospital, I looked into the luminous, brown eyes that stared quietly into mine. She was beautiful; rosebud mouth, ten fingers, ten toes, and nicely rounded at 8lbs. 11oz. I kissed the cheek of Johanna Elise before she was swept away for rounds of testing. After fevers of both mother and daughter were contained, we were released to go home, and our little family happily drove away in a white Ford Escort.
For one so determined to stay put, we found early on, that Johanna liked to be on the move. Late night drives through the city in those first few weeks proved this. The same stands true today. For one who struggles with timidity, I am amazed at Johanna's love for travel and new places. I am also so thankful for the opportunities and dear friends that have been placed in her life to encourage her dreams. I wish I could convey the emotions and memories that well in this momma's heart.
Happy Birthday dear little gypsy girl. I pray that your eyes will remain ever in wonder of all that is before you.

2 comments:
thanks for bringing her into the world.
damn. 10 months?
she IS stubborn!
awwww...
That's so sweet!
I can't believe how fast kids grow up.
Post a Comment