I decided to go to merriamwebster.com today and look up the definitions for red, blue, yellow and green. The adjective definition of all started with the same three words; "of the color" and then stated the word in question. I was curious to see how a dictionary would define something as experiential as color. It couldn't.
Johanna,Isaiah, Katie(the neighbor dog), and I were out on a walk this evening. I was telling Johanna about my discovery of color being undefinable. We got into a conversation about how interesting it was to think about the things you can't really tell someone about without them having the same base of knowledge. I mean what is salty if you've never tasted salt? Can one explain the texture of curly hair beneath fingers, or how velvety a black person's skin feels? What is soft if you have never felt something soft? Then of course I spiritualized by saying the classic, "It's like God," line. What is divine if you've not experienced Him? And even if you have experienced Him how do you describe Him? I guess I could pop in the DVD of "The Passion of the Christ".
Sometimes I feel like a blind person trying to describe the color magenta without ever having seen it.

1 comment:
i describe the color magenta as the electric feeling you get on the sides of your tongue when you eat a strawberry flavored sour patch kid, while sniffing geraniums.
Post a Comment