Thursday, October 06, 2005

Real Life

The last two days I have been working with a dear friend, who knows a bit of our financial woes. I say working, but I use the term loosely. She is paying me to play. Create. I never once was instructed on the use of the cash register, but instead I sat in a cluttered, little space, at a card table with a textured top and burnt my fingers with a glue gun, covered my hands with sepia colored ink, and rolled pliable porcelain through a pasta machine.

Today I made my very own altered art. I thought of a friend the whole time I was carefully creating. Tears rolled down a Mona Lisa face, and a baby tucked inside a rose petal, clung to an angel's heart. I thought of old songs as I wired buttons to the wooden hemline of my creation, and shared the lyrics with my friend, the artist, who sat across the table. I felt inspired, pensive, and content while Ellery played in the background.

Today I got a call to go back to work at the hospital. I feel anxious, reluctantly thankful, and conflicted. I want to create. For now however, I must content myself with caring for sickly creation.

1 comment:

Kassianni said...

Henri Nouwan may be of some help at this juncture. He worked in L'Arche communities for many years. He's a constant inspiration to me.

"All his life two voices competed inside him. One encourage him to succeed and achieve. The other called him simply to rest in the comfort that he was "the beloved" of God"