We'll be gone for a wedding this weekend, and didn't want to overlook Joe, besides the fact that Johanna will be in NY and Niah in NM on the actual day Father's day is recognized.
So last Sunday, Isaiah and his poppa went to church together, and I made brunch. Then Isaiah wrapped his gifts for Joe. Three collector's edition "Underdog" DVD's were concealed between the pages of a large book, and then wrapped in brown paper tied up with string, and decorated with Isaiah's childish scrawls. The popcorn, popcorn bowls and soda glasses were wrapped as well...
and the

that Johanna had gotten during her travels this spring were chilling in the refrigerator.
Joe was surprised and mighty happy with his gifts. He and Isaiah have been bonding over "Underdog", watching the DVD's and drawing pictures of poppa's beloved superhero from the years of his childhood.
Last night Johanna gave him her gift. You have to understand, that Joe has a particular way of ruining throw pillows that are supposed to be decorative and meant to be pretty on the couch. He takes three, and shoves two under either arm, and one behind his head, and he relaxes in "his" chair. My pillows are mangled and disturbing looking after his abuse of them.
While visiting friends, Drew and Kat, Joe became enamoured with a "squish" pillow that they had. Johanna found some at Bed Bath and Beyond. She gave them to him with the following note:
Poppa, my dear Poppa,
How is this card for non-traditional? I bet you think it's pretty, and oh so artsy..well the truth is I never got around to finding you a real father's day card-but that's okay, because this one's blank and I can say whatever I damn please:)
It is my initial response to fill these types of greetings with my apologies for things like "not being with it, " or distracted, or just plain gone all the time...but I will refrain from such things-because this is about you! About thanking you for being an incredible, kind, caring, and patient man. For being my kind and patient father. For putting up with moments of silence when you hunger for conversation. For putting up-for listening when the conversation flows mixed with tears and uncertainty. For providing gracious and truthful, wise answers to my questions. Thanks for not letting me tear down the fence!!
Thanks for putting your feelings of "overwhelmed" aside to serve and care for this entire family.
If someone were to ask me to describe you in one word, I would say they were being unfair at first-then relent to using this verb:
"Sacrificial".
Then I would give them the runner up which is:
"Narcoleptic".
I love you so.
Thanky...
Johanna Elise.
He likes his pillows....


4 comments:
Great picture of Joe...and I bet he wasn't staging being asleep. I miss Underdog, but those anti drug people had it taken off TV, because of his little super energy pill. Yep, Underdog got his new found energy by swallowing "beaners' by the handful! Hope you had a great Father's Day!
Troy
"Those aren't pillows!"
Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles
That's a cute picture.
OOPS! I logged in as my husband that was me not him. Sorry! =oD
Post a Comment