Monday, June 06, 2005

Her Papa's Garden

Things I hate about online communication. One can not hear the tone of typewritten comments, can easily become victim of mistaken identity when using instant messaging, and LOL just isn't the same as laughing together.

The open house is over, and was lovely. The weather was beautiful, the thunderstorms stayed away. Ancient windows hung from a weathered arbor, the glass layered with photos of our dear graduate's life. Plates laden with shish ka bobs, hummus, and couscous were carried to cloth covered tables to be shared with good friends. By the light of tiki torches, guitar strings were skillfully strummed, and laughter was heard in the humid evening . It was a night of revelations...an anchor with a story, and the new touring job spoken of aloud for the first time. Hugs, tears, and coffee abounded.

At 12:30 AM, after the last of the core group had departed, our little family sat on couches covered with white chenille in the cool of the backyard. Johanna carefully opened each gift and card; salty drops cascaded down her smooth cheeks as she read kind words, overwhelmed by friend's and family's display of love and generousity.

I remember the day I looked into her beautiful eyes for the first time. I look into them today; I watch Niah as he breathes gently in sleep, and feel Isaiah's body relaxed in my arms. I smile at my husband.

I am amazed when God gives me a small glimpse of heaven.

No comments: