Monday, May 16, 2005

Venting about Mom.

I don't understand people. Okay, maybe I should say it this way: I don't understand old people. Wait, an even better way is this; I do not understand my mother. There.

Her condo is empty. She moved in two doors down after marrying neighbor Jack in December.

Her condo is for sale. Being the amazing decorator and homemaker she is, she expects the first person who walks through the door to put an offer on the table right then and there, for exactly the amount she is asking (which incidentally is about $9,900.00 more than it's been appraised for because she knows it is worth more than that). She and Jack (who by the way has never been a realtor-or played one on TV for that matter) put an ad in our local paper last week advertising an open house on Saturday. They busted their elderly asses Friday cleaning, and scrubbing, re-arranging furniture, in an already immaculate home. Saturday they sat for ten hours with bread baking, candles burning, Perry Como crooning, and had one couple show up. The couple did not immediately buy this palace on Interlaken Ct.

I hear of a housing need, for dear friends of ours who will be here for three weeks in June. A light bulb goes off in my head thinking of the empty house. I also remember that my niece, Layna is going to be student teaching this fall in Grandville, a short jaunt from Jack and Jan's, but a two hour drive from her hometown, which her parents have just moved to Pinedale, Wyoming from. At this point Layna has no place to stay. She has hinted to Grandma, by telling her her dilemma, but Grandma says nothing. I tell Layna that I shall come right out and ask on her behalf, and if that doesn't work she is welcome to stay here in Holland with us. So I call my gracious mother, (as I do every day to see how she is) and after chatting with her for a few minutes mention Layna's pending assignment. She states, "Yes, I know, won't it be wonderful for her to be nearby?" I ask her if she had thought about inviting Layna to stay with her so she would not have to rent an apartment for such a short time. She states, "Oh I never thought of that." I mention the housing need for our friends. She knows them, knows how special they are to this family, and even has hosted them in her home previously. She immediately says "NO. I'm trying to sell my house." I tell her that even if she sold it today, that it would probably take at least 30 days for closing, and they would be gone by then. "Well, I just don't know, I'll have to think about that."

I do not understand. Where is the Christian hospitality, the joy of sharing what has so generously been given to us? I always thought of my mom as being a gracious woman, but I am disappointed. I want to share what I have. Dangit, I want to share what she has.

That is all.

And Tyler, don't you throw anything back in my face. I know she is not her sin, and I have read Boundaries, and I'm sending it to you. Maybe mom has read boundaries as well. I wish perceptions weren't so freakin' varied.

2 comments:

my alter ego said...

hey- i'd NEVER say she's not her sin.

there's a difference between sin, and just being downright rude, inconsiderate, and inhospitable.

i would assume she's the latter.

so there!

Anonymous said...

They busted their elderly asses

That was a funny line.