And today, random topics with Tomi.
In high school, I was an honorary member of a group of indidviduals who dubbed themselves the I.G.O.S. (Intellectual Gang of Superiors). Not because I was an intellectual by any means, but because I had several friends who were intellectuals and found it in themselves to embrace friendship with one such as I. This bothered some of the others in the group, they, I suppose were elitists. I also know that they had no idea that the rest of the school had changed their self-proclaimed acronym to "Intellectual Gang of Shitheads". No one could could deny their excellence in academia, it was the arrogance that was despised. I do remember debating apologetics with one IGOS member who repeatedly called me simple. I dunno, maybe I am simple. I don't desire to pursue knowledge in the way some people do. I do however desire to be wise.
This whole case with Terri has me pondering much. As one who has cared for the severely mentally and physically disabled, I am conflicted. Many of the individuals we were responsible for would have been left on the rocks to die in ancient times. I am all for pallitive care...I've read "Dying Well", and I was pushing the morphine button for my dad while he was dying. Maybe if this decision had been reached when Terri first became disabled, I wouldn't be as conflicted, but why after fifteen years is it so essential to stop the care that has been keeping her alive? Why not sign over guardianship to family who want to continue caring for her? It seems to me to be an issue of power within the family, and a tragedy that the government has gotten involved. Let this be a lesson to all of us. Living wills are a good thing, and no matter how uncomfortable it is to face our mortality, discussion about end of life issues isn't a bad or morbid idea.
Numbers 22:28
28And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass....

No comments:
Post a Comment