I have a lump in my throat tonight. Not sure if the cause is late evening patio coffee or emotion; although if I had to guess with a gun to my head, I'd say emotion.
My oldest gypsy is in NYC tonight. She spent the day watching films and hearing lectures about breastfeeding. At one point she texted me to say that she had become emotional at times from the subject content. I replied by saying that breastfeeding is an incredibly emotional experience and time nursing my children can be counted as some of the most fulfilling moments of my life. We talked later, after we'd both finished our respective dinners. She'd eaten Mexican food in NY, I'd grilled Mexican food in MI. We talked about the day, and after we hung up, I could feel the weight of the melancholy that she reluctantly carried as if it were my own. We are connected, you see.
The middle gypsy is in Seattle. He texted earlier today saying he was getting ready to attend a parade that celebrates the pride of some of his friends. He called his dad as he was walking the crowded streets and laughingly commented that he felt like he was entering Sodom and Gommorah. I enjoy talking with him these days even though his 22 year old cynicism burns my heart more than coffee or Mexican food ever has.
The youngest gypsy is wandering away from the easiness of childhood. He still laughs at the gas caused by the beans he ate, but showers more often, puts gel in his hair, and is intrigued by the dark skinned beauty of the neighbor girls. I see him sitting in the hammock talking with one of them while the adults from both families prepare a meal to share together in our backyard.
I'm having a hard time praying. Of late I've seen tramps and thieves steal into these young gypsies lives. I struggle with desiring mercy for those I see as potential hurters (a re-occuring theme in my life). I want to protect our gypsies, have them come back and stay under the covering that their father and I could provide. They want tribes of their own though; a right and natural progression as they travel farther from childhood into the land of adults.

No comments:
Post a Comment