I am sleep deprived and grumpy. Frustrated with Joe for spending money that wasn't part of Dave's plan. I of course decided to retaliate by spending money myself. So I gave Isaiah the option of grabbing a "snack" after he got out of phys ed class today. He chose Kentucky Fried Chicken. Found myself driving toward the beach as he munched. It's a beautiful day, overcast but warm. Earlier I'd photographed purple crocus peeking up through the ground in my yard.
As I drove toward the lake I felt the anger seeping away, diffused by a sweet type of melancholy. My parents used to have Friday night dinners at the beach together during nice weather. They would grab a bite to go at the Colonel's and then park at the beach and watch the sunset as they ate. Oft times I find myself driving toward the lake automatically after ordering chicken. Today I sat and watched Isaiah play on the swings and felt tears sting my eyes. Being there with the chicken and the waves made me miss my Dad. The beach was not his favorite place; we rarely went there together as a family, and yet strong memories of him attached themselves to me there today. I am sad that he did not see Johanna and Niah grow into lovely adults. Sad too that Isaiah never met his Grandpa whose eye color he shares; Dad would've appreciated the boy's quick wit and gregarious personality.
After we threw the red and white box in the garbage can, I helped Isaiah brush the sand from his feet and we walked back to the car. I looked sideways at him and asked, "Wanna hear a story about your Grandpa?" "Sure!" he replied . We climbed in the car, and I began talking as we drove away.

2 comments:
*squeeze* love you.
Aw...I never knew about the colonel and the beach. I was missed Grandpa big time yesterday. Way to make us all cry. Did Isaiah like the story?
Post a Comment