Thursday, October 12, 2006

Please Slay the Dragon.

Back from NC and I am contemplating my behavior. I have come to this conclusion; I am a dragon.

Why is it when I get together with extended family I am at my worst? We were all there to honor my brother's memory, emotions running high I know, yet I breathed fire. My attitude almost caused us to leave a day early, but the transmission in the van seemed to be acting up. So I ended up having to apologize for comments I made--which I hate doing, but nevertheless felt compelled/obligated by conviction to render. The following day, the day we were supposed to leave, the van ran smoothly with no issues at all. Go figure...do you think God gave me the extra time to repent?

The moments that shone despite me are as follows: the beauty of the Appalachian mountains in autumn; the amount of people that came to honor Kerry's memory, those that spoke and the songs Joe sang, feeling the grit of my brother's remains on the urn that was beautifully painted by his daughter, holding his firstborn grandchild; the unexpected pleasure of finding a coffee house snugged in an odd corner of the small town in which we were staying; late night talks with Johanna and Joe in a freezing cold attic; sharing a turkish royal with nephew Garrett; and watching a fire faerie being photographed in the North Carolinian dusk.

I want to be good, to be loving, despite me, despite other's behavior. It comes with great difficulty to exhibit such grace.

1 comment:

The Human Zoo said...

well said. i'm happy you're my mom.