Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mascara on my Shirt.

Isaiah and I picked up his new glasses yesterday, then we went to see Johanna doing her barista gig at Alpen Rose cafe'. We sat and drank java freezes that she had made at the end of her shift; talking about the positives and the negatives of her day.

We decided to walk to Roxie's...I noticed Lizzie Ann Wool company as we passed, thought again about my missing $50.00 gift certificate, and determined to bite the bullet and go in and ask if they had record of the gift, and if so, could I use it. To my surprise and excitement they did. I was too befuddled to shop; I like to think about yarn before I buy it, so I continued on to Roxie's. Nothing in that store will fit me... except maybe the stationary, but it makes me happy nevertheless. Johanna showed me several items, while Isaiah pet the resident cat, Stella.

J, tried on a dress, and decided she just couldn't pass it up. It is awfully stunning on her. We came home, Isaiah ran off to play with the neighbor girls, and I listened to Johanna make plans to see Robin before her dear friend leaves for school on Monday. Conversation ended, and she came into the living room blinking hard. Quietly she asked if I could hold her like I used to when she was a little girl. I obliged, rubbing her back as she sobbed in my arms. She talked about how she'll miss Robin, how she's working with women for the first time, how she's going to be moving next month, and a myraid of other things. It all came down to change, and growing up. I know she's excited by it, but gets overwhelmed that it seems to be happening all at once. I remember when she was little we'd have to keep exciting events hush hush until they actually happened, due to the fact that little Johanna would become physically ill in the anticipation of the event. This seemed slightly reminiscent of those times, but not nearly as messy.

I savored the moment of being comfort giver...I know that some time soon that too will change.

No comments: