Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Technology of Aging

I am drinking coffee. The first cup in two days. I think my head will feel better shortly.

I think my mother thinks that I am avoiding her. She tends to call whilst I am working, so she leaves these breathy messages that are are heavy with nuances of hurt, guilt and love all served up in one two minute message.

I tried to call her cell phone this morning (she's been out of state for two months..the winter thing and white haired people you know). Her voice mail message begins with the standard, "The person you are trying to reach is unavailable at the moment, please leave a message for..." and then my mom's voice comes on and says "Jan speaking." This always throws me off, because it is not a typical answering machine message that my mother would normailly leave. That and the fact that she is not actually speaking, she is recording...supposedly a greeting for her voicemail. I don't know that she understands that the voicemail system is actually the new breed of answering machines, which is why she left the disconcerting "Jan speaking" recording. I think technological advances become more daunting for her with each passing year.

I wonder what i will be doing in my seventies that make my children shake their heads. i wonder what concepts they will be attempting to explain to me when i shut down, unable (or unwilling) to wrap my withering brain around.

I think I'm gonna need more coffee.

2 comments:

A Good Kinda Crazy said...

Just to let you know... I'm having another prayer list for Emily, who will be having surgery on Monday, April 24th. If you're interested in a committed time to lift her and the family in prayer, please stop by my blog.

In Him,
Amy

Isaiah and Elise said...

all right, miss tom-eye. here's a comment, ('cos you said you never get them).

how's life? i wanted you to know that our highlight of coming to kalamazoo was seeing some crazy-cool hollanders. seriously, even if thinks weren't chaotic and annoying over at the rents, you still would have been the coolest part. we love you guys to death.

elise and i went to water st. cafe on sunday. i wish we'd taken you there. it is such a cool-ass coffee shop. you guys'd love it.

we'll miss you. maybe (we pray!) we'll see you again before our adventure out to vancouver-land.