We were at the Laundromat.
We'd gone there to wash two oversized items that would not fit in my sleek new asko washer and dryer. Sitting in a small booth in the convenience section that ajoined the laundry area, Isaiah ate his breakfast of brown rice, applesauce, and an orange whilst I sipped a cup of coffee. When he was finished I pulled out a Winnie the Pooh number card game and we played as the washers spun,and the dryers rattled. He played, showing off his number skills with great confidence. I was surprised that the video games from which we were sitting directly across didn't distract him. He put his cards away with a flourish, and looked longingly at the games. I tipped my head toward the flashing lights, giving him the permission he was longing to receive. I gave him one quarter with which to shoot turkey's in the Pennsylvania winter and went to check on the status of our linens. They were ready to be put into the large dryer drums. Isaiah, having already missed out on the turkeys for that season, got a wheeled cart and tugged the soggy fabric from the washer. He carefully pushed the cart over to dryer number seven, pointing out that that's how old he is and loaded it in, adding a fabric softener sheet for good measure.
We slipped our quarters into the slot, pushed start and watched as the drum tossed our bedspreads around, heat and dampness fogging the round window. I looked toward the door just as Joe walked in. A lovely surprise. Isaiah ran to him and Joe scooped him up; oblivious only for a moment to the belly he had exposed. He quickly tugged his shirt into place as the boy exclaimed to him about our time there. He pulled his poppa's hand and led him to the arcade area, where Joe, (the softie) was weasled out of two more quarters. We talked quietly, sharing the last dregs of my coffee, watching Isaiah missing the moving targets. The dear man kissed us good bye and was off for the rest of his work day.
I folded the comforter, feeling it's dryer warmth against me as Isaiah and I walked out to the car. That's when he said it: "If I were rich, I'd come here everyday!"

1 comment:
we've been discussing the difference between success and significance.
i think you have achieved both.
Post a Comment